Proving Legal Access To Build A Home

Build a Home in Jackson CountyAre you planning to build a home on your land?

If you want to build a home, one of the many requirements you will have to meet is proving you have legal access to that home. If your property is outside city limits, your access may be via a road owned by BLM, USFS, or a private property owner. If so, you will have to prove you have legal access through an easement, use permit, or written agreement before you can build a home.

Do you want to build a home in Jackson County?

Jackson County’s Land Development Ordinance states “As a condition of approval, if the road access to the dwelling is by a road owned and maintained by a private party or by the Oregon Department of Forestry, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, or the U.S. Forest Service, then the applicant shall provide proof of a long-term road access use permit or agreement. The road use permit may require the applicant to agree to accept responsibility for road maintenance.”

Jackson County is excessively strict on its policy requiring easements, use permits, or written agreements regarding access to a home. If you are planning to build a home, make sure you have all access agreements or easements in writing before you even think about trying to gain approval through Jackson County.

If you are having a difficult time getting written approval for access in order to build a home, or if you have any other questions or concerns regarding any land use issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. The staff at Richard Stevens & Associates, Inc. are here to assist you with all of your land use projects.

Speak Your Mind